Custom Search

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Chinese Garden of Friendship

I was running out of places to see in Sydney and my friend had told me it wasn’t really worth it to check out the Chinese garden at Darling Harbour. But I went anyway to see what its all about...being the adventurous me. And with my student ID (many times I’ve mentioned on my blog the usefulness of a student ID), I got a bargain.

The garden symbolizes the friendship between the states of Guangdong, China and New South Wales, Australia. An opportunity to see and share a part of Chinese culture. From the Chinese art of “Penjing” (creating miniature landscape such as bonzai plants), to carved Chinese lions guarding the entrance (Foo dogs – always in pairs, female with a cub guards the left, and the male with a ball of chi guarding the right), to golden carps swimming in the lotus pond, traditional moongates, pagoda, waterfalls, rickshaw made out of pure jade used to carry emperors, and the serenity the garden offers while sipping the perfect tea at the teahouse.

Check out the teahouse for traditional Chinese tea and sample authentic dumplings, pastries and steamed buns while relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the garden.

Bring a book on a Sunday afternoon, sit under a nice shaded area while listening to the cascading waterfalls. Enjoy the sound of peace and calmness that surrounds the garden located in the middle of the city. Maybe I’ll see you there next time! Don’t forget your student ID.

No comments:

 
Custom Search