Custom Search

Friday, March 14, 2008

Alice Springs

My first impression of Alice Springs was this: small town consisting of hotels, motels, tents, campgrounds, and swimming pools. Wrong!
Alice Springs is situated in the middle of the continent in the Northern Territory. Population: 30,000. This place is pretty much a stopping point for tourists heading to Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and Kings Canyon. But they do have a few sites to see which I checked out during my 2 day stopover.

1. Mbantua Gallery and Museum - exhibits paintings (prices ranging from $3,000 to $14,000 AUD) by the aboriginals mostly from the north (a place called Utopia). I was amazed at how many aboriginals from that place were so talented. Painting must be a part of their culture. One of the most famous artists is Albert Namatjira.

2. Anzac Hill - the only hill you can climb up in Alice Springs. All others are sacred. You can see a view of Alice Springs from the top point.

3. Todd Mall - I didn't think they would have a mall!!! Lots of shops and restaurants.

4. Reptile Museum - you wanna see some fossils, Terry, the crocodile, live snakes, lizards

I recommend going to Alice Springs from April to August. It was probably 36 degrees when I was there. The heat was just a turn off!!!

No comments:

 
Custom Search