Custom Search

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Bear Hugs

The Buddy Bears are in Sydney. Life-size bears have arrived and displayed at Circular Quay showcasing the world-renowned United Buddy Bears exhibit as part of Unicef's Unite for Children 60th anniversary.

124 Buddy Bears representing the United Nations member state were painted by international artists in the spirit of their own country of origin.

The first of these similar objects I saw painted by artists was when I went to Toronto, Canada back in 2001. I saw moose everywhere (If the plural of goose is geese, shouldn't the plural of moose be meese? Actually, no. The plural of moose is actually "moose"). An artist would paint one of these moose (not the real one, of course), display it around the city, and sell it for charity. The following year, I went to Catalina Islands in LA. And similar thing. They had painted buffalos (not the real ones) and displayed all around the island. Apparently, they had lots of real buffalos in the island. Then you've got San Francisco. Now what object would you think the city would use to represent SF? The 'heart', of course, as in "I left my hear in San Francisco'. If you noticed about two years ago, you should have seen a bunch of painted hearts displayed in San Francisco. I was at a client's site one time on one of the taller buildings in the city. I peered through one of the windows and at one of the shorter buildings, I saw an artist's work of heart displayed on the top of the building. If you missed any of these, my firm actually bought one of these hearts and is displayed in our lobby (if its still there) at this address: 60 Spear Street, Suite 400, San Francisco. Or if you are assigned to WECO SF Corp audit, see if you could find it in one of the shorter buildings next to WECO's building (if its still there???). If you see it, blog me.

If you want to see these bears, their next stop is Japan this year...in case you happen to be there.

Here's the three bears that represent the three countries I've lived in (Philippines, US, and Australia):

Philippines - featuring the 'agila' - eagle
US - featuring the Statue of Liberty
Australia - featuring aboriginal paintings










No comments:

 
Custom Search