Custom Search

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Australia Day

All I know is I get a day off on Australia Day (Jan 26th), a national public holiday. After reading up about it, Australia Day commemorates the landing of the First Fleet in Sydney Cove in 1788. Per Wikipedia:

For a minority of Australians the celebrations arouse hostility; some comment on how the arrival of the British adversely affected the indigenous people of the country. They call the day "Invasion Day," since they regard it as celebrating the subjugation of indigenous Australians. In recent years, some indigenous Australians have also celebrated the day as "Survival Day," thankful that their ancestors were not completely wiped out by the newly arrived settlers.

(to read up more about Australia Day - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Day)

On this day, Aussies traditionally get together for barbies (BBQs), go to the beach (as would any other day), watch the ferrython (a friendly race of boats and ferries on Sydney Harbor starting at Circular Quay, around Shark Island then finishing at the Harbour Bridge to win the coveted Lord Mayor's Trophy), listen to Triple J's Hottest 100 songs of the year voted by listeners, and BDO (Big Day Out - similar to Lollapollooza). None of this I did on Australia day except listen to #54 thru #30 something on Triple J's Hottest 100.

So what did I do on Australia Day. (1) went kayaking over at Spit Bridge at 8am and (2) went bushwalking from Spit to Manly in the afternoon. Bushwalking is their term for hiking here. I believe it was about a 10km walk. Along the way were some Aboriginal drawings that have been preserved. Looooooong walk but I felt good after since I haven't really worked out for a while...not that I'm really passionate about working out. Anywho...so we ended up in Manly beach where we had a deserving Indian food for dinner. Below are some pictures from the walk. Unfortunately, I don't have any from kayaking...wouldn't want the camera to get all wet. So I couldn't really prove to you if I actually did kayaking or not. You'll have to take my word for it.


























No comments:

 
Custom Search