Custom Search

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Nothing Much

Things have been pretty quiet and back to normal these past few days. But we're trying to keep ourselves busy especially on weekends.

On Friday, we met up at the World Square in the city after work for dinner. World Square is a very conspicuous center in that the main building is named Ernst & Young...yes, one of the big 4 accounting firms... and its the building that took about 14 yrs??? to finish due to several building issues (don't think its related to EY). Its a business complex with shopping and dining area. I've noticed that companies here are really proud of naming their buildings with their huge and bright logos seen even from across the water (but then again, the water is not as wide or as far as the SF bay). Among the Big 4, I've seen two EY buildings, one PWC and one KPMG. I know they have Deloitte here but I don't see them among the skyscrapers. From Balmain Wharf (north west and overlooking the city), to your left would be North Sydney (I hope I'm getting my directions right) where you'll see buildings such as Cisco, IBM, Sun Microsystems, Hitachi, Optus...I call it the Silicon Valley of Sydney. To the left of the Harbour bridge, you'll see the bright lights of Luna Park with its ferries wheel, rollercoasters and other rides...reminds me of Santa Cruz beach boardwalk. And yes, its by the water, too. Apparently, this was based on Coney Island of New York. Nearby is Fort Denison...a small island with a prison cell. Yup, you guessed it. Just like Alcatraz. And of course, the Sydney Harbour Bridge equals our Golden Gate Bridge. I have yet to think what the Sydney Opera House would relate to. Hmmm??? Let me know if you have any ideas.

I digress. We went to the World Square to check out the jazz bar at the Avillion Hotel. Not bad...something relaxing and to unwind myself after a long second week of training for me. Too much information overload.

Saturday, I went to Kim's 23rd bday party (Tita Terry's daughter) at Crunella beach (my 3rd beach...but I haven't swam yet...I need to take swimming lessons first by the pool). We played beach cricket...similar to baseball...but I still think baseball is more exciting than cricket (sorry if I offend anyone). Now I'm beginning to understand cricket a little bit. I gotta go to an actual game and get the Aussie feel (but nothing like hanging out with my RHI coworkers when we used to watch the A's (and Giants) baseball games back in the bay area. I hope you guys take me back to our baseball club when I come back).

On Sunday, I went to check out the Xmas tree at Martin Place. They are now setting it up for the official Xmas tree lighting this coming Thursday. We will be there!!! About the same time last year, every Friday after Turkey day, I went to see the Xmas tree lighting at Union Square in SF. It was beautiful. You should check it out this year...and maybe get star struck to see some celebrities. Its a great idea for a date!

No comments:

 
Custom Search